Skip to main content

Challenge to Become Something

Challenge to become something I wonder if all people avoid problems and challenges. Because I always felt reluctant facing any challenges and problems of life. But it does not mean I never dealt with it. It often came to me without choice. If I had a choice I would alway avoid them. I preferred to stay calm and have a peaceful life. That is my natural desire and later I understood that literature calls it “comfort zone” but in negative ways. Why is “comfort zone” bad?

Second thought is that I want to be successful one. I assume everybody wants to be successful in their life. I am not just saying from financial independence. We all want to have a happy life, perfect family, stable income, maybe lots of capital and social fame. Who would deny that and prefer to live in poverty?

The two thoughts are somehow related to each other. Young families, especially married students, face problems and challenges. We can make a long list of things including class, a part time job, taking care of kids, bills to pay, sudden health issues, not enough time to do all of those things. I remember my brother was saying “I wish I had a time to get a little more sleep” during his student period with his family at BYUH. They had 3 children and both studied and worked. They had nearly 5-6 hours of sleep and the home work and family life daily task, plus temple and church services, and other things to do just like young students if you are in the same situation.

When a similar situation comes to me in my life I wonder is there any better way to go through this? Some say short cuts. Even after college life there are more challenges such as finding a job, working, taking care of family, serving in the church and making more money to buy a home or car that is necessary for life. Some have a big dream and are frustrated not even close to their dream. That is me.

I like to search my answer for my question from the church and gospel resources. Because I see many people here succeed not only in the economy and fame side but in a spiritual way as well. They have educational success, economical access, family success, and respected life in the public and church.

Elder Dallin Oaks said “In contrast to the institutions of the world, which teach us to know something, the gospel of Jesus Christ challenges us to become something.”

What does that mean?

Ganjavkhlan is the famous man in Mongolia builds a building in Mongolia for children poverty to study and develop. He has done lots of work for families in poverty. He said ever year they gathered volunteers and donated food and supplies to poor families. After many years looking back, he noticed the people who gave were growing and developing but the poor families who were receiving every year did not change and stood the same. From this we see some people become someone other did not.

From the gospel side Final Judgment is not just an evaluation of a sum total of good and evil acts—what we have done. It is an acknowledgment of the final effect of our acts and thoughts—what we have become.

In another term the scriptures say to convert. The conversion does not come by reading, watching video and emotional feelings alone. It takes experience. Becoming something takes work, experience and challenges.

The gospel challenges us to be “converted,” which requires us to do and to become.

Jesus said “Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am” (3 Ne. 27:27). He said become, become like him.

But how?

Elder Oaks said “The conversion we must achieve requires us to be a good husband and father or a good wife and mother. Being a successful Church leader is not enough. Exaltation is an eternal family experience, and it is our mortal family experiences that are best suited to prepare us for it.” Our needed conversions are often achieved more readily by suffering and adversity than by comfort and tranquillity.

It turns out our daily hard work, not just physically but also mentally, helps our life to become better and better. Some people wonder sometimes why the government is not making me rich, why people have business from my competitors, not with me, why am I living lower than other people. I had the same thoughts another day. Why is my business not growing? It was easy to blame others. They don’t support me, the competitors using bribery or network. I have no bribery or network. I was born in a poor family. I could go on to many petty things.

But when I reflected on myself, did I work hard every day? Did I obtain all the skills and education to get better than my competitors. Or did I prefer to stay in my “comfort zone”? Did I spend every hour effectively at my work and family?

I remember one young entrepreneur started a food and restaurant business. He got up early in the morning and came to his kitchen but played games on his phone. His business failed and went bankrupt.

We invited Ganzorig, who was the youngest bank president ever in the history of Mongolia, said during his BYUMS guest speaker speech. “I was working in a bank as a regular worker but I read the think book of a certified bank manager every day after my hard work. Sometimes I was reading but wondering if I am understanding it. But I took the international test in Beijing and passed the test. He became the bank president and CEO of a financial group.

Successful people are the result of hard work and productive experience. We see the Olympic champions and admire them. But if we will see their daily life they do the exercise every day. But we don’t watch them every day.

People will see who you become by this challenging life one day but they will not see your daily life today.

Think of your daily to do list. Only important and mandatory things. Student life is challenging, class, work, children and family life and church services. President Eyring said “Do you have daily reading scriptures, prayer and church calling in your daily important work to do tasks? If not all your hard work is going to be in vain.”

The challenges and dealing with them today should become your daily lifestyle after your college. You should learn how to love the challenges and deal with them in order to become someone.

I don't want to avoid any more challenges, I wish I made this decision at an early age. I know the challenges and life problems are only to make me a better person and obtain a better life. This is not about wishing for an easy life but easily dealing with challenges.

Big dreams are achievable but with pay. Family relationship, sufficient income, business or job whatever, good friendship and all good things require effort and constant learning and practicing. All good challenges and all the teachings are available in the church resources which are used a lot in BYU.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overcoming Challenges

It is easy to say “Yes, you can” but it is hard to act. Lots of times the question will raise “Why it is happening to me” or “how can I do this”. Sister Holland quoted from a book The Politics of Experience, R. D. Laing said, “What we think is less than what we know: What we know is less than what we love: What we love is so much less than what there is, and to this . . . extent, we are much less than what we are” (R.D. Laing in Love, p. 19). Without being smug, we’ve known that since the dawn of the Restoration. Surely that ought to be our own exciting challenge toward becoming—of growing, seeing, feeling, touching, smelling, hearing, believing. No time for a Harlequin Romance or a long lower lip with that kind of view. Look at the word “exciting challenge”. How come the challenge is exciting? Elder Holland said “We speak about excellence a great deal at BYU these days, and, by definition, excellence does not come easily or quickly—an excellent education does not, a successful

What did I learn?

I was taking the entrepreneur course from the BYUI online and realized the entrepreneur class is more about thinking and reflecting on what is other entrepreneurs did. I realized we learn from other and some people think this is cat copy. But there are some differences. The world is not made out of nothing, Science approved the matters make things and not possible build something from emptiness. So, we learn from resources and build things on the principles. If I had a lecture like Randy Pausch did as his last lecture, I would share more optimistic things and regrets that never started earlier things. I will encourage students to try something new and start as early as possible. Learning as not merely reading or setting behind a desk in classroom. It is more about exploring, traveling, meeting new people and trying it out. Entrepreneurship is not running a business rather creating something new and keep working on until to build something and make it run. It should benefit not onl

What's Business For?

All it starts from what we must do in this world. Do we have to be selfish and only try to do something for ourselves? How about helping others? Is that necessary? The history of the world shows many facts that when a nation helps each other and serve each other they prosper but when they greed and boast with their wealth the nation declines and causes contention. And then revenge and pointless competition leads to destruction. Many people have seen in their own life when they help more to others their business and life gets exciting and never ends the joy and happiness. But one who seeks only his need and ignore others never gets out from miserable life. So, rich or poor, we are to “do what we can” when others are in need. Jesus taught the people serving others mean serving your God. So, he did not point people do many meaningless rituals and offering animals and stuff to God, but instructed people to serve and help the others. There are many companies have failed and hurt